Skip to main content

Holiday worries

It's Christmas Eve and I'm loving it. I'm cooking our Christmas Eve feast right now, where we celebrate Jesus' birthday and spend time together as a family, eating cookies, watching holiday movies, eating more sweets, and playing games. I love this time of year and I'm loving it this year, being home for Christmas and embarking on our own family traditions.

With all that said, I'm feeling a little down. I keep getting these emails from baby sites (that I keep unsubscribed from!) about the progress of our 4-month old baby, the baby that was never born. Our baby would be 4 or 5-months now (since I've never made it to full term). We would be getting past the constant feeding newborn stage and into the fun interaction stage. We would (most likely) be done having children. We would have a nursery set up in this house. We would be celebrating Baby's first Christmas. Perhaps I'm just looking on Facebook at my friends' pictures of their babies' first Christmases, but I know I'm not the only one who feels this way (read Keep Calm and Have a Cosmo's latest blog post "The Breathings of my Heart").

This past week at church we obviously talked about Jesus' birth. The pastor incorporated this verse into his message, Philippians 4:6-7:
Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Philippians is my absolute favorite book of the Bible. I could (and sometimes do) read that book everyday and feel just as encouraged as the first time I read it. This week, it was such a pleasant surprise to hear those verses discussed at a pre-Christmas service. I really felt like God was reaching out to me, inviting me to hand him those worries that have been pressing on my heart.

Worry #1: I worry that we will continue to have miscarriages. Two of my four pregnancies have ended in a miscarriage, one of them being a partial molar pregnancy. (Yikes!) How will my next pregnancy turn out? Could I handle another miscarriage?

Worry #2: I worry that there will be an even bigger age gap between our 2.5 year old toddlers and our next baby. Our oldest was 2.5 years old when our twins were born and I thought that was a big difference. I always wanted our kids close together in age... but I can't seem to control this at all.

Worry #3: I worry that the timing is all wrong for our next pregnancy. With our last pregnancy, we knew my husband's schedule. We knew where we would be living. Now... not so much. In about 6 months, his schedule is totally up in the air. He could be in Connecticut for 3 months unaccompanied. He could be in rotating shift work in South Carolina as he goes through prototype. We could all be moving to upstate New York for him to go through prototype there... There are so many possibilities, none of them even remotely solid. Who knows? (Read "STA-21 'Officer's' Program.")

I need to hand all these over to God. I need to give all these things to him. The next verses in Philippians go on to tell us what we should think about, Philippians 4:8-9:
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable-- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-- think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me-- put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.
I find worry to be a hard state to be in. There isn't a clear adversary. You don't really have something tangible to be concerned about... You just have these thoughts in your head that keep you from fully being in the present. Thoughts that disrupt your peace and keep you from presenting your concerns to God. I hold onto these things and feel that if I keep them close, I might somehow be able to prevent them from happening or might somehow be able to change something. But I can't. I mean, my second worry, the age gap... What can I do about that? The time has come and passed. Nothing can change that. Why do I worry about it?

Whenever I think about worrying and handing my worries over to God, I think about the verses in Matthew. Matthew 6:25-27:
Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat and drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds in the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
To me the those verses speak of the futility of worrying. Why should I worry when I can hand these concerns to God, God who can answer these prayers?

Philippians 1:27a says, "Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ." Paul says "whatever happens." Not "when good things happen" or "when bad things happen you get a pass" or any of that. Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ. I know I've talked about that verse before. I love that verse. I have it written in the front of my Bible and for a long time, hanging on my bathroom mirror. It comforts me. It gives me hope that I can, no matter what, bring glory to God no matter what my circumstances. Praising God is not contingent on my life circumstances or if things are going my way or if I'm where I want to be or if I miss my family or my friends. Praising God is not contingent on whether I've "moved on" from this last miscarriage.

I feel like I keep having to remind myself of this. I pray and pray about this. I give God this. And then something happens-- an unexpected bill from the hospital for the D&C, a question from a doctor on my pregnancy history, a major holiday we aren't celebrating with our longed for newborn-- and I'm back on my knees, full of heartache. I'm so thankful that through this I have a personal God, a God who listens. A God who sent his son to earth to die for our sins and redeem me so that one day I can praise him in person, joining him in heaven.

Isaiah 9:6-7
For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given,
and the government will be on his shoulders.
And he will be called
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
Of the greatness of his government and peace
there will be no end.
He will reign on David's throne
and over his kingdom,
establishing and upholding it
with justice and righteousness
from that time on and forever.
The zeal of the Lord Almighty
will accomplish this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I love my stroller

Napping while we are out. North Carolina September 2011 I get stopped all the time when I go out. I don't mind that people want to wave at my babies or ask D if he is a "big help" or throw their hands up in mock distress and say, "I don't know how you do it." Sometimes, yes, I would rather run in and out of a store, but, honestly, even if people weren't stopping me, would that really happen heading out with three kids? I've gotten used to the "you have your hands full" conversations, but one thing I never tire of talking about is my stroller. People stop me all the time to comment on my stroller, either to tell me that they wish they had that stroller back when their kids were young or to find out what it is and where to get it. Let me start at the beginning. When D was an infant we had two different Chicco strollers, the travel system and the Chicco $40 umbrella stroller. Neither was that exceptional, but they both served their p

Prototype in South Carolina

I'm starting this blog post off with a disclaimer: this was my experience as a Navy spouse as my husband went through prototype, another school in the nuclear Navy officer pipeline-- not his point of view, but mine. These are my thoughts and words, not his. My husband is prior enlisted. When he went through prototype this time around, he had already gone through prototype before {as enlisted}; he had already been on a submarine; he had been in the Navy for 10 years. He went through the STA-21 program {more blog posts on that under " Military Resources "} and is going back through the pipeline as an officer. I felt his prior experience would work to his advantage in prototype and at least give him more time with our family than he had while in power school {read the " Power school " blog post}. Students in prototype are on rotating shift work. The shifts are roughly these times, depending on which boat you get on and various other factors: Days {day shift

Submarine Officer's Basic Course (SOBC)

My husband was picked up STA-21 . I've written several blog posts about our STA-21 journey  and going through the officer pipeline: power school and prototype in South Carolina . It is surreal to me to be writing this post about the last piece of his STA-21 journey, going to SOBC in Connecticut. It doesn't seem that long ago that we received the news that he was picked up STA-21. It was such a whirlwind leaving Hawaii to move to North Carolina for him to get his degree in mechanical engineering; all too soon he graduated college and we were off to South Carolina going through the officer pipeline.It is crazy to me that in a few short weeks we will be back to the fleet. When we left the fleet for the STA-21 program, I felt we had all the time in the world. I tried to remind myself along the way that the time would slip away from us, but it is one thing to know it and another to live it. But I digress. Right now my hubby is at SOBC (Submarine Officer's Basic Course).