Skip to main content

One hundred and forty-four days

One hundred and forty-four days.

When I say it aloud, it feels like a lot. And a short amount of time, because I know it should have been longer. It should have been longer because my husband had to stay behind and finish a school for the Navy, PNEO (Prospective Nuclear Engineering Officer). The timing of his class meant he had to stay behind and finish PNEO for a couple extra weeks after his crew had already left.

Those were weeks of bliss. I'm sure for him it was challenging-- PNEO is a lot of studying. But, from my perspective, the PNEO schedule was much better than the boat schedule. He would study in the morning, come home for lunch, study in the afternoon, and come home shortly after I picked the children up from school.

It felt like I actually got to spend time with my husband. It was the perfect way to spend our last couple weeks before deployment.

Because, in the blink of an eye, our lazy mornings in bed together were gone. Our family evenings together were gone. Our weekday Costco trips were gone. Our quiet lunches together at home-- while the baby napped and the toddler babbled adorably with us-- were gone. PNEO did end and deployment did come.

He missed our last baby turning 1 years old. He missed traveling overseas kid-free with me for a wedding of a close family friend. He missed my birthday. He missed our toddler's 3rd birthday. He missed our oldest's 9th birthday. He missed our twin 6-year olds learning how to swim-- actually learning how to swim-- and jumping off the high dive into the deep end.

Our last baby was already taking wobbly steps at 11 months old when he left. She was our earliest walker, standing independently at 9 months old. But now she really moves-- really walks. She runs. She climbs and plays. She started talking. Her first phrase is, "I love you," and that pretty much sums up her personality. At 16-months, she says many things, but she doesn't say, "Dadda." Not yet.

He missed my dad's heart stopping and being rushed to the hospital, eventually getting a pacemaker. I sent a Red Cross message to the boat for that and we got a crackly satellite phone call with a major delay so our conversation was stilted and awkward, both of us wishing he was here.

He missed my vehicle breaking down 3 different times, one time being towed from the center shoulder on a major freeway with all 5 children.

He missed late nights with crying children. He missed tear filled evenings with doors slamming and sobbing from both sides of the door. He missed apologies and I love yous. He missed, "Mom! Mom! You have to see what I learned at school today!" and he missed, "Mom, can you make it better?" He missed, "I want to sit in your lap," and he missed, "Watch this, Mom!"

He missed warm summer walks to the pool, where the boys skipped ahead, anxious to see if their friends were there already. He missed the last couple days of summer, as the heat held on and so did my heart, dreading a change of season without him here. He missed sweat-streaked faces smiling wide after basketball practice and autumn walks with tiny heads bent over while chubby hands poked at bugs crawling under leaves. He missed kisses on fevered foreheads and back pain carrying sleeping toddlers up the stairs to bed. He missed mopping the bathroom floor after bath time splashing turned into dumping all the water out of the tub. He missed wide blue eyes rimmed with tears turning up at me, "I really miss Daddy." He missed toddler tantrums in Costco and our twin 6-year olds getting into a fist fight at the park. He missed our 9-year old sullen for days because he missed his dad, missed his best friend, missed how everything was, "I want it like it was."

He missed one hundred and forty-four days with our children.

He missed the end of last school year and the start of this one. He missed Meet the Teachers and Back to School Night.

He missed 2 teeth being pulled by one of our 1st graders. One time, the Tooth Fairy forgot to come. (Oops!)

He missed our last baby getting her first teeth.

I know other deployments are longer.

I know we had an amazing and incredible amount of support from my family while he was deployed.

I know I need to be thankful that we got those extra weeks with him because of PNEO.

I am.

I am PRAISING GOD he is coming home safe.

I am praising God we had help and support during this deployment.

I am praising God he had PNEO before this deployment. After the crazy submarine schedules we've been dealing with, it was a breath of fresh air-- especially when we knew he was deploying. That time was a gift.

I am praising God that these one hundred and forty-four days are in the past and that we will be together again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I love my stroller

Napping while we are out. North Carolina September 2011 I get stopped all the time when I go out. I don't mind that people want to wave at my babies or ask D if he is a "big help" or throw their hands up in mock distress and say, "I don't know how you do it." Sometimes, yes, I would rather run in and out of a store, but, honestly, even if people weren't stopping me, would that really happen heading out with three kids? I've gotten used to the "you have your hands full" conversations, but one thing I never tire of talking about is my stroller. People stop me all the time to comment on my stroller, either to tell me that they wish they had that stroller back when their kids were young or to find out what it is and where to get it. Let me start at the beginning. When D was an infant we had two different Chicco strollers, the travel system and the Chicco $40 umbrella stroller. Neither was that exceptional, but they both served their p

Prototype in South Carolina

I'm starting this blog post off with a disclaimer: this was my experience as a Navy spouse as my husband went through prototype, another school in the nuclear Navy officer pipeline-- not his point of view, but mine. These are my thoughts and words, not his. My husband is prior enlisted. When he went through prototype this time around, he had already gone through prototype before {as enlisted}; he had already been on a submarine; he had been in the Navy for 10 years. He went through the STA-21 program {more blog posts on that under " Military Resources "} and is going back through the pipeline as an officer. I felt his prior experience would work to his advantage in prototype and at least give him more time with our family than he had while in power school {read the " Power school " blog post}. Students in prototype are on rotating shift work. The shifts are roughly these times, depending on which boat you get on and various other factors: Days {day shift

Submarine Officer's Basic Course (SOBC)

My husband was picked up STA-21 . I've written several blog posts about our STA-21 journey  and going through the officer pipeline: power school and prototype in South Carolina . It is surreal to me to be writing this post about the last piece of his STA-21 journey, going to SOBC in Connecticut. It doesn't seem that long ago that we received the news that he was picked up STA-21. It was such a whirlwind leaving Hawaii to move to North Carolina for him to get his degree in mechanical engineering; all too soon he graduated college and we were off to South Carolina going through the officer pipeline.It is crazy to me that in a few short weeks we will be back to the fleet. When we left the fleet for the STA-21 program, I felt we had all the time in the world. I tried to remind myself along the way that the time would slip away from us, but it is one thing to know it and another to live it. But I digress. Right now my hubby is at SOBC (Submarine Officer's Basic Course).