Skip to main content

Disappointment

There was awhile there that I felt ahead of the game. I felt connected to my purpose for being a stay-at-home mother: to support my children and raise them to be the people that God wants them to be, to raise them in a manner that my husband and I had discussed was important to us, to be the familiar face they see day in and day out as Daddy goes to work or as we move from state to state and Daddy eventually goes back to sea, to teach them life's little lessons as they naturally pop up during the day, and to enjoy these years that slip by so quickly. I struggled at times, especially when teething babies kept me awake at night for days or weeks or when sickness swept through our house and I felt overwhelmed, overworked, overtired. I struggled when I felt my husband had an easier load than I did (and he felt the same way about me-- the grass is always greener?). One thing that remained consistent then is that I would say, "I'm struggling today, right now. This is a phase." I felt it in my heart. I didn't want to miss a moment. I wanted to hold on to each day and pull from it every last memory I could, every sticky hug, every wet kiss, every skinned knee I magically healed with momma powers, every squeal of glee when Daddy walked in the door... I loved it. I loved doing it. I loved being there and experiencing the sour infant breath as a baby slept on my chest. I loved rolling my eyes at the arguments of our oldest, a preschooler too big for his britches; his logic makes me laugh out loud.

Lately... lately I'm missing my joy. I catch glimpses and glimmers of my old feelings every now and then. I don't know what it is. I feel like we are always home, always wondering what we should do with our day, always figuring out how to dwindle the long evening hours now that the time has changed and it is too dark (and too mosquito ridden) to play outside. I feel like I miss our old duty station and miss our old friends. I feel like I miss our old calendar that always had something fun to do on it, that sparked our kids' imaginations. I feel like we are always telling them to go to the playroom here at our new house. I feel like too many toys find their way around this new house-- maybe it is the open floor plan-- but I'm constantly tripping on Legos and Duplos and Matchbox cars; it feels cluttered which makes me feel grumpy. I feel far away from my family.

Most of all, I feel like I'm always playing catch up. I'm late to nearly everything I have planned lately. It takes me much longer to get around here than I'm used to. The roads are strange. The way to get places just feels winding. Everything is a trek. I don't know where to run out and get a good lunch with the boys in tow and so I've eaten much more drive-through chicken here than I would care to think about. I feel like I'm playing catch up with my calendar and catch up with my kids. Instead of focusing them in fun activities, I'm breaking up fights and disagreements. Instead of keeping their hands busy, I'm sending them to the other room. Instead of listening to them, I'm telling them to keep it down.

I need a change! I've hit the winter blues early. Having a nagging cold doesn't help. Having toddlers in the exceptionally trying toddler phase hasn't helped (read "Revolution #9"). I feel like each day I'm looking for a break-- when can I catch a break?-- instead of taking control of the day, praying over various aspects of our day, praying over our kids. I need to go back to the basics and stop struggling through these days.

I re-read a blog post I wrote awhile ago called "Marthas and Marys," written after I read When Mother's Pray: Bringing God's Power and Blessing to Your Children's Lives by Cheri Fuller. That's the mom I want to be again.

It is time for a fresh start.

Comments

Unknown said…
I hear that! This community does feel pretty secluded and I'm always on the lookout for fun stuff to do with Natalie. But when I find those things, they are always at least 25 min away. Yesterday, we drove all the way downtown just to go to the Children's Museum for 2 hours. Natalie had a good time, but we were both exhausted from the long treck! It is frustrating.

Don't worry though! We are always ready for a play date or a walk to the park. :)
Lindsey said…
I'm trying to put some spark back in my step as well. Since the move I haven't had time to get into mommy groups or anything. I'm hoping that maybe getting Evie into tumbling will help. It always seems like one little change gets us going again.
Kimber said…
That would be fun, Lindsey! I've looked into some classes for the boys, but I haven't found anything 1) close by or 2) that we can afford to put all 3 of them in! :S

Even writing this post and hearing that a lot of other moms feel the same way helped boost my spirits. Last night I made a new family schedule and it seems to have motivated us a lot! I want to energize this place again, get back in the swing of things!

Popular posts from this blog

I love my stroller

Napping while we are out. North Carolina September 2011 I get stopped all the time when I go out. I don't mind that people want to wave at my babies or ask D if he is a "big help" or throw their hands up in mock distress and say, "I don't know how you do it." Sometimes, yes, I would rather run in and out of a store, but, honestly, even if people weren't stopping me, would that really happen heading out with three kids? I've gotten used to the "you have your hands full" conversations, but one thing I never tire of talking about is my stroller. People stop me all the time to comment on my stroller, either to tell me that they wish they had that stroller back when their kids were young or to find out what it is and where to get it. Let me start at the beginning. When D was an infant we had two different Chicco strollers, the travel system and the Chicco $40 umbrella stroller. Neither was that exceptional, but they both served their p

Prototype in South Carolina

I'm starting this blog post off with a disclaimer: this was my experience as a Navy spouse as my husband went through prototype, another school in the nuclear Navy officer pipeline-- not his point of view, but mine. These are my thoughts and words, not his. My husband is prior enlisted. When he went through prototype this time around, he had already gone through prototype before {as enlisted}; he had already been on a submarine; he had been in the Navy for 10 years. He went through the STA-21 program {more blog posts on that under " Military Resources "} and is going back through the pipeline as an officer. I felt his prior experience would work to his advantage in prototype and at least give him more time with our family than he had while in power school {read the " Power school " blog post}. Students in prototype are on rotating shift work. The shifts are roughly these times, depending on which boat you get on and various other factors: Days {day shift

Submarine Officer's Basic Course (SOBC)

My husband was picked up STA-21 . I've written several blog posts about our STA-21 journey  and going through the officer pipeline: power school and prototype in South Carolina . It is surreal to me to be writing this post about the last piece of his STA-21 journey, going to SOBC in Connecticut. It doesn't seem that long ago that we received the news that he was picked up STA-21. It was such a whirlwind leaving Hawaii to move to North Carolina for him to get his degree in mechanical engineering; all too soon he graduated college and we were off to South Carolina going through the officer pipeline.It is crazy to me that in a few short weeks we will be back to the fleet. When we left the fleet for the STA-21 program, I felt we had all the time in the world. I tried to remind myself along the way that the time would slip away from us, but it is one thing to know it and another to live it. But I digress. Right now my hubby is at SOBC (Submarine Officer's Basic Course).