Skip to main content

Hi, I'm Momma

There was a point in time where I felt sexy. I could (and often did) spend hours applying make-up in new and interesting ways. The mornings were a time for reading, coffee, open closet doors, trying on shoes, but were spent, most often, sleeping. I went to college, had a job, friends who would invite me to join them for dinner after the sun went down. There is a part of me that remembers being indignant when a restaurant in New Hampshire was already closed at 10 pm.
The babies want Momma's lap everytime I sit down.
North Carolina January 2012

I had a conversation with a friend the other day about being a stay-at-home mom. Having worked up until she had her twins, she said that what she misses the most is feeling witty. She said she misses the banter at her work place. It really stuck with me. We discussed how you make a joke with your spouse and it often falls on deaf ears. You are home after a long day and want to relax, a baby is crying, a basketball game is on, someone is refusing to eat dinner, or you just discovered that you are, in fact, coated in spit up. With so much going on, you start dealing with the task at hand, ignoring or half-processing things that fall in the "it can wait" category.

Today being Valentine's Day, I attempted to step up my appearance. I applied eye liner, curled my hair, squeezed into pencil jeans, wore a lower-cut shirt. As a result, O dedicated his time pulling my shirt open the entire time he was in the sling. My three-year old complimented my efforts by running his chocolatey hands along my hair line, "I like your hair, Momma." By the time W arrived home, my hips were protesting the snug pants. My hair was a disheveled mess and I had snot and baby dinner dried on my shoulder. The sexy feeling was not there. I flirted while I iced the cake only to have him say, "What?" over the roar of tired 10-month olds. Flirting doesn't really work when you are 1.) repeating yourself and 2.) yelling your pick-up lines over screaming infants.

By the time I crawl into bed at night, I'm not thinking about lingerie or candles. More than once I have picked Cheerios out of my hair before turning out the light. I dread staying up too late because I never know what the night will bring. The night I get in bed at 12:30 am is the night D has a bloody nose at 2:00 am or C comes down with a cold or O cuts a tooth. I usually flip through tomorrow's agenda before turning out the light, checking if I need to be somewhere before 10 am or if an appointment will interfere with the babies' nap time. I try to find out from W if he will get home when I normally expect him or if he will be late. I try to remember if I did indeed put the meat in the fridge to defrost and, if I forgot, what I will make instead (getting out of bed isn't an option). Often times the following day closely resembles the previous day, the same schedule, the same frustrations, and, regrettably enough, the same meal options.

While unpacking during this recent move, I carefully put away all my high heels. I fondly remembered buying each pair, the shoes I wore the night W proposed, my favorite "daily heels" (wait, heels when the sun is out?), the heels I wore with the dress W liked so much. One pair I debating moving to my "regular rotation shoes," deciding against it when I considered the baby sling. I still own these shoes; they still fit. I have them at the top of my closet right now where they wait until I may possibly take them down. There are nights, few and far between, when I wear a dry clean only dress (most recently, my anniversary). Right now I wear kitten heels and ballet flats, a kind way of saying comfortable shoes. I've discovered a fondness for the classic look of Keds and rolled jeans (go ahead, say it. The "Mom Look." I know).

You can find me at Barnes and Noble...
for storytime.
North Carolina January 2012
I do miss someone asking me to proof-read an article for them or for my opinion on a book. I miss long, heated debates over punctuation. I will always wish I studied abroad before I got married. But I will never regret the choices that have brought me to where I am. At the core, I am still the person I've always been. There are parts of my personality that are missed on my young children (i.e. a heavy sense of irony). Constantly introducing myself and attempting to make friends makes me feel like the new girl, a position I'm frequently in because of my husband's career. The choices I've made and the people immediately surrounding me have challenged me, through no fault of their own, to temporarily shelf or draw out various aspects of my personality. Some of these areas needed work (patience) and some I would have liked to hold onto awhile longer (the ability to stay awake until midnight).

Today I may be wearing ballet flats to the park. This is a season in my life where my focus is on the happenings in my home, my husband's schedule, and the needs of my children. But tomorrow... who knows? The lilac BCBG pumps may find their way back on my feet.


The Road Not Taken
By Robert Frost

TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;       

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,        

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.        


I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I love my stroller

Napping while we are out. North Carolina September 2011 I get stopped all the time when I go out. I don't mind that people want to wave at my babies or ask D if he is a "big help" or throw their hands up in mock distress and say, "I don't know how you do it." Sometimes, yes, I would rather run in and out of a store, but, honestly, even if people weren't stopping me, would that really happen heading out with three kids? I've gotten used to the "you have your hands full" conversations, but one thing I never tire of talking about is my stroller. People stop me all the time to comment on my stroller, either to tell me that they wish they had that stroller back when their kids were young or to find out what it is and where to get it. Let me start at the beginning. When D was an infant we had two different Chicco strollers, the travel system and the Chicco $40 umbrella stroller. Neither was that exceptional, but they both served their p

Prototype in South Carolina

I'm starting this blog post off with a disclaimer: this was my experience as a Navy spouse as my husband went through prototype, another school in the nuclear Navy officer pipeline-- not his point of view, but mine. These are my thoughts and words, not his. My husband is prior enlisted. When he went through prototype this time around, he had already gone through prototype before {as enlisted}; he had already been on a submarine; he had been in the Navy for 10 years. He went through the STA-21 program {more blog posts on that under " Military Resources "} and is going back through the pipeline as an officer. I felt his prior experience would work to his advantage in prototype and at least give him more time with our family than he had while in power school {read the " Power school " blog post}. Students in prototype are on rotating shift work. The shifts are roughly these times, depending on which boat you get on and various other factors: Days {day shift

Submarine Officer's Basic Course (SOBC)

My husband was picked up STA-21 . I've written several blog posts about our STA-21 journey  and going through the officer pipeline: power school and prototype in South Carolina . It is surreal to me to be writing this post about the last piece of his STA-21 journey, going to SOBC in Connecticut. It doesn't seem that long ago that we received the news that he was picked up STA-21. It was such a whirlwind leaving Hawaii to move to North Carolina for him to get his degree in mechanical engineering; all too soon he graduated college and we were off to South Carolina going through the officer pipeline.It is crazy to me that in a few short weeks we will be back to the fleet. When we left the fleet for the STA-21 program, I felt we had all the time in the world. I tried to remind myself along the way that the time would slip away from us, but it is one thing to know it and another to live it. But I digress. Right now my hubby is at SOBC (Submarine Officer's Basic Course).